Saturday, March 29, 2008

New York Auto Show - Part 1

I attended the NYIAC on Friday, Match 29 - first time in a long time that I've been to an Auto Show, and the first time to NY in decades, literally! I had forgotten how much fun it was, and also how it's a sensory overload. You really need to have a plan of attack. Ours was kind of random, following a circuitous path through the displays, which meant by the time we got to some manufacturers, like Jaguar and Volvo, where there were cars that I really wanted to see, I felt I was kind of burned out..... So, for example, I sat in the new Jaguar XF sedan, but probably couldn't appreciate it as much as I wanted to. But I'm getting ahead of myself!

Overall impressions:

1) The domestic manufacturers have a long way to go to catch up to the imports. I have to say that the domestics tend to have flashier displays - more turntables, flashing lights, models - while the imports tend to have just the cars and fewer frills. The 'door thunk-factor' of the imports is still way higher than the domestics (I was particularly disappointed with the Pontiac G8 door sound) overall, and the interiors of even the lower-priced imports are still higher-quality than more expensive domestics.

2) Chrysler products are pretty crappy. The interiors of the brand-new models like the Dodge Journey and the new minivans are really lousy - hard, cheap plastics abound and the doors are very tinny-sounding. Seats aren't any good, either. The Journey especially was disappointing, as it has a nice overall design that is ruined by cheapness in execution. I liked the forward-canted shifter and center stack, but they felt cheap. The switchgear is also low-rent.

3) Honda styling has gotten really bizarre. The Ridgeline, Pilot front-end and entire Accord are very strange-looking, and even the Civic's interior - especially the bi-level dashboard - is terrible. And now it's spreading to Acura, which had some of the nicest-looking Japanese cars previously. The 'shield' grilles are really ugly, and they have a new car that is a thinly-disguised Accord (that is make (hard to believe it) even uglier by the addition of a really bad shield grille)... I thought it said 'RL' on the trunklid but I must have been wrong, as the 2009 RL is a slightly revamped version of the current RL, not an Accord.

4) The new Challenger and Camaro are REALLY sharp. The Camaro was the concept car, but the had 3 Challengers there - 2 Hemis and a V6 version as well. It's a great looking car, even in V6 trim.

5) There were quite a few concept cars there, and I get if you lined them all up with no labeling, no one - perhaps not even the designers - could tell which one was from what company. They are all so similar, with wide-opening doors with no B pillar, bizarre captains chairs that rotate, DVD screens all over the place and floating center consoles that go all the way to the rear of the car. Oh, and ultra-practical 26-inch wheels and tires. Very disappointing, although I did like the Lincoln one.

I'll post some pictures later. But here is me in the Vette....

No comments: